Twelve Business Coach Tips
You’ve got to admit, blog Christmas 2012 has been pretty amazing. And, who better to wrap up this series than the fabulous Nailah Blades with 12 Tips for Rocking Your Business in the New Year? Naliah always has great, realistic steps for making your dreams into realities. If you haven’t already, I STRONGLY suggest you book a free consultation with this lady ASAP. Thanks so much to my 12 blog contributors and all the readers for making this series special. I hope you’ve been able to get a little (or a lot) from stopping by. Happy Holidays and an awesome New Year!
Hello sugarplums! My name is Nailah Blades and I am a Life Coach, idea generator + inspirational speaker who helps entrepreneurial women reach epic heights in their businesses by breaking down queen-sized dreams into bite-sized goals. I help 20-something business owners recognize that making a big impact, in the world doesn’t have to be riddled with costly mistakes or heart-breaking shake-ups. It can be smooth, strategic and seriously fun. You can find me online at Polka Dot Coaching, on Twitter, or on Facebook.
The New Year is right around the corner. And if you’re like many business owners, you’ve probably been procrastinating on doing your annual planning. Planning for a successful new year doesn’t have to be painful or dull.
Here are my 12 Simple Tips for Rocking Your Biz in 2012:
- Reconnect with your vision. Remember why you got into business in the first place? It probably wasn’t to make a ton of money or to mindlessly churn out products. You got into business to make a difference. You have a “monumental why.” And that “why” is going to help you when times get tough. It’s also going to shine a beacon to make sure you’re always on the right path. Take the time to reconnect with your “why.“
- Assess the past year. Take a look back at the 2011. What worked amazingly for you? What worked not-so-amazingly? What lessons can you take from the past year? In order to really rock 2012, you need to have a clear understanding of what happened in 2011.
- Craft a powerful mission statement. I am a firm believer that we are all born into this world with a clear-cut mission. It is each of our jobs to carry out that mission through our daily lives. Cultivating a powerful mission statement will help you stay connected with the unique gifts you bring to the world. Here’s a quick way to craft a powerful mission statement..
- R-E-L-A-X – I know, I know. You’re busy. You have no time for relaxation, right? Wrong! It’s important to build a little thing I like to call “White Space” into your daily life. White Space is that unscheduled, “unproductive” time for you to just be. Make sure you have a little of it slotted into your day each day to avoid burnout and stress. I promise you’ll feel much more productive after taking some time out for yourself.
- Build your dream team. You are incredible. But you can’t do it all on your own. Identify the places where you need some help and then go find the people who can help you. This can range from hiring a VA or an intern to sending your kids to daycare to hiring a marketing consultant. It’s also important to surround yourself with a support team of people who get you. Even Batman had Robin (and Alfred).
- Silence the gremlins. We all have gremlins – those voices in our heads that are telling us we’re not good enough, smart enough, strong enough to do what we set out to do. What gremlin is constantly popping up for you? What does it say to you? What is it holding you back from? Now think of the ways you can combat these thoughts the next time they arise. Ground yourself in reality – could this gremlin possibly be true? Cite all of the ways that your reality counteracts the gremlin.
- Dream big. When setting your intentions for 2012, dream big. Really think of all of the big, wonderful things you want for yourself and your business. Allow yourself to be creative and think freely. You’ll be amazed at what you’ll be able to dream up once you take off the restraints. And you’ll be equally amazed how doable some of your big dreams truly are.
- Set your goals. I’m a big fan of goal setting. Look at your overall vision, reflect on where you’ve been this last year, look at where you’d like to go in the future and then set solid, concrete goals against them. Remember to make your goals SMART – Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time-sensitive.
- Plan your goals – Once you’ve set your goals, it is time to pop those puppies onto a calendar. Start with the first quarter of 2012. What goals do you want to achieve in the first three months of the year? What tactics and strategies are you going to employ to get you there?
- Make a stop doing list. Honestly, if something is driving you batty, stop doing it! We can all make up a million and one reasons why we can’t stop but that’s just fear talking. If something is making you depressed, anxious, angry or less than your beautiful self then it is zapping you of all of your powerful energy. You need that energy. Stop doing that thing.
- Celebrate. Celebrate your accomplishments – big and small. What were you really proud of from this past year? Celebrate it! Build in time for celebration. Pat yourself on the back.
- Jump in. Feet first! There is only so much thinking, ruminating, blog reading and advice seeking you can do. At a certain point you just have to jump in. Create a plan and start executing. The plan will never be perfect, the timing will never be perfect, you will never be perfect but that’s perfectly ok. All that matters is that you get started, you continually learn along the way and that you keep pushing forward.
Whew, there you have it. 12 simple ways to make 2012 your best year yet!